After playing around with the new Octane instances feature (Octane Beta 301) I decided to revisit my for ever unfinished "Green houses" scene I started some month ago.

Well I wouldn't say it was simple, a very huge work to export all the scatter files, to import them and organize all that stuff in a messy huge node graph but the result is quite satisfying. I also had to work a lot to get everything fitting in the limit of 64 color textures and 32 monochrome ones avoiding the repetition feeliing.

Assuming the scene with the instances has about 15 million poly the rendering time is quite acceptable (less than 1h), but I mainly used the direct lighting mode.

Modeled with Blender 2.63 and rendered with Octane Beta 301 on 2 GTX580 3GB

See all the images here